Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday, Monday . . .

I've been prewashing fabric. Had to go to the fabric store (yes had to) and I can never resist checking out the remnant section for 50% off. This time I found three Kona solids (the two greens and black on the right) then I let the boys do some choosing. Beware letting a child choose when the remnants include all sorts of costume fabrics.

Photobucket


The kids promptly latched on to the starry glittery black poly satiny stuff and the cornflower blue satiny lining. Then we all did a little jig (okay just me) when they spied this beautiful cotton velveteen in black. Hmmmm, must think about what to do with that. Oh and for the record don't wash the glittery stuff with anything else. It will leave glitter all over other fabrics and the dryer too.

Photobucket


A closer look at the Kona solids, a pale grass green, then an avocado green and the black. I love the feel of this stuff.

Photobucket


And here, is the reason I had to go to the fabric store. Fifteen yards of anti-pill fleece in what we shall call shades of "blah" per Mr. Maricucu's request. Last year Mr. Maricucu wistfully wished aloud for some comfy pants to lounge about the house made of soft fabric. One day he felt a pair of fleece pants I'd made for my oldest and said, "that's the kind of fabric I'd like." One thing to know about my husband is that he knows sewing is my spastic outlet, passion and distraction. He doesn't make a ton of requests from me, knowing that my time in front of the sewing machine is limited and all over the place. But he did request these and I had bought Kwik Sew 3663 for him the year before. I added length, scratched the drawstring and zippers then added some elastic at the ankle. Thus were born his favorite pants, he says it's like wearing a blanket.

This year he shyly asked me if I'd have time to make him some more pants and I said sure. Fortunately this week the fleece was on sale and the boys were told to find colors for Daddy that were not too bright, nor too dark (beige dogs, 'nuff said). Medium brown, slate, medium blue, pale green and camel. Shades of blah. But he's going to love them and I love making that happen.

Photobucket


Here's another birthday project sneak peak to wake up your vision again. I'm getting closer to the end and will readily admit that my penchant for OCD perfectionism has made this wayyyyy more involved than it would be for a normal person. But I'm not normal and I like it that way.

Photobucket


This past weekend I made Nicole's Impossible Pumpkin Pie - twice. Yes, twice in the three day weekend. Ummm, and the only ones eating are the kids and me. These things are amazing, almost like a baked pudding. Dare I say better than pumpkin pie and you don't have to putz with pie crust. I baked the first batch in cupcake cups but the second batch in little custard cups for a larger serving.

Photobucket


Of course, it's a rule around this household that no pumpkin pie shall be served without whipped cream.

Photobucket


Oh my. That reminds me, I need to hide the last one from the kids.

Photobucket

No comments: