Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm not a great photographer, aka an ode to my camera.

Photobucket

When I first started this blog I was shooting all photos with a point and shoot, a Canon s3 that I loved and used constantly since Mr. Maricucu gifted it to me one Christmas about 2 years ago. I did pretty well, stuck to natural light for most photos (no flash) and the pictures came out okay. Then about May/June I got the dSLR bug. Pretty bad I might add. So I sold the coverstitcher that had been gathering dust in my sewing room due to laziness and inability to fund its appetite for thread and purchased the current camera - a Canon Xsi.

Oh my word right out of the box the camera blew me away. With the s3 I was able to take amazing outdoor photos (just using the aperture priority setting) but with the dSLR indoor photos came out just as crisp as the ones shot outdoors. No flash. So the camera and I have been happily plugging away since then, pretty much attached at the hip. Then the inevitable happened. I was shooting a recipe the other day when my battery pack needed to be charged and I don't have a spare. Uh huh. I don't have to tell you that I couldn't just pause the photography for two hours, having mixed the ingredients for a batch of muffins. Not to mention the kids were not going to wait two hours for their breakfast either. They're pretty demanding around here about having that meal in the A.M.

So I broke out my trusty point and shoot figuring that since it was early in the morning I would have no problem shooting the rest on old faithful. Blegh. See that picture above? That was on the dSLR. The picture below? On the point and shoot. The point and shoot was having fits focusing on the blob of chocolate so I couldn't get as close as I like to the food. Oh I was not a happy camper.

Photobucket


This is as close as the camera would let me get and semi-focus. It's awful.

Photobucket


I bet you can guess what camera I used for this shot.

Photobucket


Another shot by taken with the tank, aka the Xsi. You know when photographers say it's the person shooting, not the camera that makes the difference? In my case it's not true. The camera type definitely makes a difference. In fact, it makes a difference in my cooking. I was so distracted fiddling with old faithful that I burned the bottom of the muffins. Lesson learned, don't cook while frustrated.

Photobucket

No comments: