Monday, July 6, 2009

Ground Flower Finished

Photobucket

I finally finished the ground flower hat I started the other day. It's a free ravelry download knit in simple stockinette which allowed me to tweak the measurements without having to adjust pattern repeats. I knit this tester out of some caron simply soft I had leftover from the ripple in order to test the fit and the depth. See, I have kind of a huge honking head. Those cute summer hats sold in stores that are one-size-fits-most? Apparently I'm a freak of nature and that's not even taking into account my curly hair that I like to wear pretty fluffed. But I got a little notion last winter that a cute tam/beret-like hat possibly lined in satin wouldn't disturb my curls that much and actually fit my noggin if I knit it myself.

Obviously I'm late on this one but I'm actually following through - so unlike me. I did cast on 100 stitches instead of just 88 and also went up a needle size since I tend to knit a little on the tight side. I knit two rows of increases modified a bit in order to end up with a total of 200 stitches before knitting straight and then decreasing. Even so, while the brim fit very well, I find the hat too shallow. When I finally do knit my wool version I'll likely double the straight stockinette rows in order to leave plenty of room for my hair and still get the poufed look of the hat in front.

Unfortunately my plans for a cute baby photo shoot of the tester hat were foiled. Thankfully, we had a stand in.

PhotobucketAlign Center

Photobucket

Photobucket


I have to say it's been nice having someone around who will actually stay still for the camera and will pose endlessly for me. My mom also looks way cuter in the hat. I've always thought she had a regal profile if I do say so myself.

Photobucket


Looking pretty chic there mom!

Photobucket

Photobucket


She didn't want me to post this photo but I did it anyway. This is likely how I will wear the hat although with a bit more poof in the front. I still think she looks cute either way and now she has a new hat to wear when she visits those of us in more frigid climates (or for those freak South Florida cold snaps, ha!)

Photobucket

No comments: