Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hooray for mail!

The other day I received a package that I had forgotten was coming in the mail. It was another swap but in this instance a commission that I had requested from another mom in exchange for something I had (how's that for vague?).

Photobucket


When I had originally approached this knitting momma she giggled at me, a knitter, requesting that she knit something for my boys. I readily admitted that the boys had been hankering for a new winter hat in "their colors" for a while now and my attention span just wasn't up for knitting two in a row of anything. Nothing would induce more therapy on a child than having momma peter out of steam right before getting the second hat done. So I requested one in green and one in blue of this pattern. Boy did she produce! Gorgeous denimy blue and a mossy green all lanolized, soft and squishy ready for topping off a cold noggin.

Photobucket


The kids know that if a package comes for me they must wait until I take a picture of the packaging (yes they must) and then I'll let them see. I love documenting the moment of opening a package, I just can't help myself. However, it took all of two seconds after I'd unwrapped the tissue and said, "these hats are for you guys" that they each snatched their corresponding color and put them on. Here's the oldest, of course his color is green.

Photobucket


The younger, a fan of anything blue. It's strange how much they've latched on to these colors and thankfully are not specific on shades. Just, "blue for me and green for him momma."

Photobucket


Look at the beautiful job she did on the bindoff in the crown. I could stare at this forever and thankfully thought to take a picture because the boys found it odd that I wanted to take a picture of the back of their heads.

Photobucket


This is the bonus. My friend was kind enough to throw in a little extra for me! This funky, super squishy scarf was for me. Now I'll admit I don't typically wear a scarf because a scarf dangling behind clumsy 'ol me is just an invitation for getting caught up by a kid, in a car door or in the house door.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Then I remembered the short fold where you double fold the scarf and tuck the ends into the loop made by the scarf - sort of like a cravat or cowl. So after attempting a traditional look . . .

Photobucket


. . . I put it on with the short loop method. Now, because my friends told me I look a wee bit serious (and imposing, scary, angry *giggle*) let me explain this was first thing in the morning before the shower. Obviously, I'm sooo not a morning person. If it helps, imagine me with short hair and you'll get a good idea of the look my dad perfected on us kids growing up. To be honest I was just so intent on trying to focus the camera, not get some funky angle on me and make the bedhead work that I forgot to smile. Even with the bedhead, lack of makeup and early morning crusties this is nothing close to the pictures of me after giving birth looking like Mick Jagger.

Photobucket


However, in order to not permanently scar your retina with my serious look here are the kids in their attempt at walking off with my soft scarf. Love this and I'm sure they will too in a few years.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Marin!! said...

Hee. Ian just said, "Why is Marielle unhappy?" when he saw the one pic. I told him you were concentrating. I love the scarf and the hats. The boys are getting so big!

BTW, you did NOT look like Mick Jagger after giving birth. You were beautiful!

MommaMari said...

LOL - you're too kind. Hey I need to start working on this surely look of mine if it scares that many people. I mean, if without effort I can have people concerned, imagine the possibilities if I actually got good at it!