Monday, February 8, 2010

Cream of Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Photobucket


A couple of years ago a Trader Joe's opened up in our area. I avoided it like the plague for the first couple of weeks before braving it with the then much younger boys. It was right before the holidays, thus very packed and of course they were handing out samples. Stroopwafels, yum and how I miss thee. The orange chicken was tasty of course and then we turned a corner to see an employee handing out little cups of cream of roasted red pepper soup. Oh my word, how delicious. I definitely loved it but what raised my eyebrow was that not only did the boys love it, they loved it more than the stroopwafels. I know! So I bought a tetrapak of the soup and heated it up that evening along with some grilled cheese sandwiches. It was a hit. However, that little tetrapak? Didn't go very far and was pretty pricey. A little sleuthing on google though and I found this recipe on the cooking light forums a couple of years ago. It would be risky to present a different version to the same family that had now fallen in love with the Trader Joe's version but thankfully it was a pretty close replica and has been part of our soup repertoire for ages.


Cream of Roasted Red Pepper Soup
adapted from Cooking Light Forums

4 red bell peppers
1 onion - finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 sprig fresh rosemary - or about 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
5 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper


This soup is dead easy to make. The only step that takes a bit longer is roasting the peppers, but by using the broiler you save yourself the trouble of standing over a flame with each. individual. pepper. Wash and cut the peppers in half. Remove all the seeds and white parts of the ribs. Then place cut side down on your baking sheet and if you have more room than I did (I was making a double batch as usual), squash/flatten the pepper with the palm of your hand.

Photobucket


Then place the pan under your broiler and let them char for 15-20 minutes turning the pan once or twice for an even char. You want all of the pepper to char (yes burn) because the parts that don't char are difficult to peel after roasting.

Photobucket

Photobucket


While still piping hot, place the peppers in a bowl and then seal with plastic wrap.

Photobucket


That green contraption you see on my bowl is a silicone universal lid, my answer to plastic wrap when possible. I get a kick out of using the sealing function but also use it upside down (vented) in the microwave. Let the peppers rest and steam for about 20 minutes.

Photobucket


Once the peppers have steamed, they will be slightly cool enough to handle and the skins easy to slip off. Peel the peppers and set them aside.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Whatever you do, don't throw out this liquid! That is essence of pepper and you'll want to reserve it with the peppers to add to the soup pot.

Photobucket


Meanwhile, back at the ranch. Toss your onions and butter into a deep pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.

Photobucket


Being too lazy to walk out in the backyard to get some rosemary (or face the current condition of my garden) I dug out the dried rosemary and put it in my little tea ball.

Photobucket


Toss the rosemary into the pan.

Photobucket


Add the peppers and the liquid from the peppers.

Photobucket


Next in, the broth.

Photobucket


Finally, add the tomato paste.

Photobucket


Bring the soup to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.

Photobucket


Once the soup has simmered (and the sun has almost set, darn winter light!) fish out the rosemary and discard.

Photobucket


Whiz the soup up in your blender (or if you're like me with the stick blender) until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Photobucket


Then drizzle in the luscious cream and reduce the heat to medium low at this point.

Photobucket


Mine was a bit more bright orange than usual due to the varied colors of peppers I used.

Photobucket


Then it's ready to serve. I usually dollop a bit of sour cream in the middle to cool it for the youngest. What to serve with it? Divine breadsticks are a regular for soups around here. Grilled cheese is of course, a classic. Or just cut up large hunks of bread, toss with garlic, olive oil and salt then crisp up in the oven and toss those garlicky croutons into the soup.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks delicious--and it might be just the thing to ease a few veggies in around here. Have you tried freezing it?

Love the crouton idea too--

And I love that lid! I hate plastic wrap but sometimes I just don't want splatter in my microwave. I'm hopping over to Amazon right now!

MommaMari said...

Doh! I forgot but yes it freezes beautifully and reheats just fine on a slow simmer. I use those food saver bags to freeze mine flat and they go straight into a water bath on the stovetop but you can freeze it in your container of choice and reheat on the stovetop or microwave.

Denise said...

Yeah, how did i never hear of this lid? Really? There are only 2 reviews on amazon1 good 1 meh,- what is your take? The soup looks delicious. may have to give that a try....

Lowell said...

Yum! Another recipe to try soon.

MommaMari said...

Denise, I really just wanted a lid that would function as a microwave cover. This is flat but with the metal ring on the edge (safe for micro of course) I lay it with the ridges side down directly on my food and that way it stays vented while reheating. We bought the 11" one to cover our 10" dinner plates at a maximum.

I've also used it on the stovetop over odd sized pots and then every now and then for fridge storage. For storage in the fridge you need to be sure the lip of the bowl has not gotten dirty or greasy, otherwise it won't make a seal. Also one reviewer mentioned this and it's true, you need an extra 1-2" around the edge of the lid beyond the item being sealed to get a good seal. I haven't tried super long storage but mostly I just use it for reheating in the micro. After my food is hot I just rinse/wash it and put it back on the dish drainer. Sometimes I chuck it in the dishwasher and I haven't tried it in the oven yet but they are oven safe.

Lowell this stuff is delish. Hope you enjoy it!

Denise said...

Thanks Marielle. I probably need to get one of those for the same reason....Your review was helpful! :)