Monday, December 7, 2009

Nativity Play

One of the first things we did at the beginning of December was the break out the kids' Playmobil nativity. I think I enjoy this set as much as the kids do.

Photobucket


Since the pieces are teeny tiny I set up the scene inside a bookcase behind the gate blocking baby from the dining room. That way it's accessible to the boys and yet safe from the baby's very curious hands.

Photobucket


Or so I thought. Apparently stringing a bunch of lights was just enough to set off her radar. Now she spends all day testing the fortress, ahem the gate in order to get a crack at her favorite piece, the angel. She knocks down every other figure godzilla style but will daintily play with the angel all night if I let her.

Photobucket


Of course, I ran down the nativity story with the boys setting up each piece in its corresponding spot. That lasted a good ten seconds once the boys began their play. A quick rearranging of the figures and I overheard,

"Behind this door is Mary's office."
"But what 'bout Joseph?"
"Joseph gets a separate office, this office is only for Mommas named Mary."

"Momma where is heaven in the nativity?"

"Crash, bam, boom! Oh no there's a big storm and Mary has to go to sleep or she won't be safe!"

Photobucket


I think two of the wise men are going to ditch their travel companion. Or perhaps rustling up that camel.

Photobucket


I'll admit I get a kick out of the wise men. They look so - festive. Oh and per tradition we've already misplaced about 50% of the gifts brought by the wise men. Contrary to what I thought little tiny pieces like silver boxes, gold lamps and goblets are more prone to disappear in the hands of an older kid obsessed with collecting than a toddler.

Photobucket

No comments: