Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sock Monkey Love

Back in the day . . .

Oh yes, I'm going there and I know that purely by the use of that phrase I will be instantly catapulted into old fogie status. I'm okay with that.

So back in the day you had to either tape the Superbowl with a vcr and actually fast forward through the football to catch the commercials or watch the game with a fellow sport enthusiast who would alert you to the commercial breaks by getting more food or taking a bathroom break. Then came the wonders of the internet for us non-sport lovers. Suddenly you could spend your Sunday on any other endeavor and then just look up the commercials online. This year I actually forgot to do either. Sad, huh? I'm sure the big advertising agencies consider me a nightmare - a consumer with ADD so bad she forgets to even look up the much touted Superbowl commercials. I won't even get into how I promised my husband years ago when Lost jumped the shark that he would just tell me what happens in the final episode because I had neither the patience nor the attention span to watch the series. Lucky for me he's still watching and what seemed like an impossible promise is likely to come true. TV slackers, unite!

So about those Superbowl commercials. I did get a peak of one weeks later that totally caught my attention. It's the Kia commercial featuring the beloved Sock Monkey going on a fantasy wild ride with his fellow plushies. Sock monkeys have experienced quite a renewed popularity in the last several years thanks to the online crafting community and it seems someone was paying attention. My favorite part hands down? Sock Monkey's tatoo of course - hand embroidery no less.


3 comments:

Denise said...

that is my favorite commercial too, and my favorite part. But the whole things is great.

Organique Gal said...

That's great! I hadn't seen that one before... lol My son loved it too and made me replay it a couple time. :)

MommaMari said...

Thanks April and Denise. Seems the commercial was a bigger hit with the adults than the kids.