Monday, March 29, 2010

Slight deviation of plans.

We interrupt the regularly scheduled post to ramble.

I've posted before about my love for tangy lemon bars. It's quite an unhealthy obsession but I fully own it. A couple of weeks ago I replenished my stash of grapefruit to satisfy my other obsession but this time instead of picking out individual ruby reds I opted for a large 5lb bag. Big mistake. The bagged grapefruit were bitter as all get out. I love sour and I love tangy but even I couldn't eat the quite bitter ones straight. So they sat on my counter until I juiced them all yesterday. I gave the kids some of the juice straight since sick child is just now feeling better and blessedly his siblings did not catch it. The rest I used in my lemon bar recipe along with the zest for some grapefruit bars.

Photobucket


Now my mistake was forgetting the tang of lemons is much more pronounced even against a bitter grapefruit so these were a bit too sweet for my taste. Next time I'll cut back the sugar but this time I took a lemon from the fridge and squeezed the juice over the bars while still warm. Much better. Oh and look who's becoming a fabric connoisseur. She reorganized my scraps and made sure to smooth her hands across every.single.piece.

Photobucket

No comments: