Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Money definitely cannot buy everything.




What I can buy:

1. A flouncy skirt.
2. A manta (wrap).
3. A fancy hair comb.
4. A fan even (heck I think I still have some laying around from our wedding reception somewhere).
5. Castaňuelas


What I cannot buy:

1. Talent. Talent does not discriminate by age. Check out girlfriend in the second half of the video.
2. Rhythm. See #1. I know I've harped on it before but I can feel it, my body just does not cooperate in expressing it.
3. Awareness of my body and where it moves. Flamenco dancers can whip mantas with enough fringe to blind the singer behind them, stomp shoes with heels lethal enough to take out teeth in the front row and kick around flounced trains that might choke the guitarist. But they don't. Can't say the same for moi.

When I was around 8-9ish my uncle gifted my sister and I a pair of castaňuelas (castanets). Sis and I would stomp around, clacking those things and just about knocking each other's teeth out in the process. Now that I think of it, I'm sure my parents just loved that gift. However, I just can't shake the feeling that my desire to produce something even similar to the video above would result in the video below. (tip: You may want to swallow what you're drinking before watching).

Flamenco #2 from Linx on Vimeo.

It's like some interpretive dance gone wrong, very wrong. I fear for the dance teacher as she looks like she's being rushed by a herd of stomping cows.

No comments: