Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chocolate Bliss Cookies

Photobucket

That's right folks, chocolate bliss cookies. I think these came from a baker's chocolate box and then ended up on the kraft site. I always lose the recipe and then when a craving hits I'm frantically googling for this one bowl fudgy treat until I find it. My one gripe? I can't stand to see this recipe circulated throughout the 'net without the addition of salt. The first time I made these cookies I was so disappointed because what should have been deeply intense almost brownie like cookies tasted so flat. So please go ahead and give these a try but don't forget the salt.

Also a note: The original recipe listed a smaller quantity of flour because the cookies included nuts which prevented overspreading. You know the routine around here with nut allergies so I included the larger amount of flour but I imagine a bunch of chopped pecans in these would be absolutely amazing.

Chocolate Bliss Cookies
adapted from Baker's Chocolate

16 oz (2 2/3 cup) semi sweet chocolate chips - divided
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter - softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour- if not using nuts increase flour to 3/4 cup.
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups chopped walnuts - can sub pecans and in fact I find them a bit sweeter
1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line some baking sheets with parchment.

In a microwave safe bowl place 1 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips. Nuke for about 2 minutes, stirring halfway. Sometimes I need another 30 seconds more to melt them loosely. You'll see why later.

Photobucket


To the melted chocolate add the brown sugar and stir to combine well.

Photobucket


Now add the butter. You see how my chocolate looks a bit thick? I will usually nuke for 30-45 seconds after incorporating the butter especially when the house is a bit cooler in the winter.

Photobucket


Mix in the eggs.

Photobucket


Then the salt and vanilla.

Photobucket


Toss in the flour and baking powder. Gently fold it in.

Photobucket


Finally fold in the remaining 1 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.

Photobucket


Mmmmmm. Batter shots get me every time.

Photobucket


Using my favorite cookie scoop I just plop out the batter onto the parchment. My scoop doles out about 2 teaspoons of batter and I can fit 12 cookies on a half sheet baking pan. If you don't have a cookie scoop you can scoop out the batter in rounded tablespoonfuls leaving about 2 inches between each cookie to allow for spreading.

Photobucket


The look of disappointment when I put her out to insert the cookies in the oven.

Photobucket


Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until shiny on top and just set but not overcooked. They will puff up but come back down as they cool. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking pan then move to a cooling rack (or your mouth).

Photobucket

Photobucket


See? Crackly top like a brownie.

Photobucket


Fudgy and tender insides like a brownie. These are definitely addictive and you can't beat washing out just one bowl (or if you have kids around you might be washing out a cleanly licked bowl).

Photobucket

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm sorry but that picture of N is hysterical! LOL

MommaMari said...

Thanks! She's pretty good at getting her point across. ;)