Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pure unadulterated craving.

I was perusing Google Reader the other day and came across Alicia's post regarding Soulemama's WHO bread. I shelved the idea for another day until later in the day I came across another blog mentioning the same bread and the words, "honey butter". Helllllooo gorgeous. All I could see was the bread baked up into slightly overproofed, yeasty buns of goodness and slathered with homemade honey butter. You'd better believe I got right on it.

Photobucket


Oh come on, I can't be the only one who's ever wanted to make a meal of the warm basket of yeast rolls and honey butter on the table at a restaurant. No step by step for this post but I did make several changes to the method. I mixed up the dough like a traditional bread dough so yes, mix, knead, proof, proof. Except before the final proof I shaped them into golf ball sized buns and let them rise for almost an hour. Yum, wheat, honey and oats. Brushed with butter as soon as they came out of the oven.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Of course, what is a good yeast roll but a vehicle for honey butter. I slathered some on.

Photobucket


Then my oldest requested ham on his and I gave it a try on mine. Sheer bliss.

Photobucket

3 comments:

carrie said...

have you introduced the boys to monte cristo sandwiches yet? that last image brought them to mind :)

MommaMari said...

Oh please share your method, I'd love a tried and true recipe.

carrie said...

wish i could help there! i never seem to follow a recipe for much . . . the only must in my universe is the jam for dipping! (of course i sub tempeh for ham in mine also)