Monday, November 16, 2009

Sometimes it's the simple things.

Last week I stumbled across this post on the Sew Mama Sew handmade holidays series. A beautiful recipe for chocolate panettone but what caught my attention was the folded paper basket. Susan used the instructions for an origami basket and enlarged it to fit a modestly sized panettone. I quickly shoved the idea out of my head since I'm not a panettone baker, nor gifter and had no use for that dimension of basket. Then as I was pulling out a parchment sheet for baking some cookies it dawned on me - make them bigger! I adapted the folding in steps 3 and 6 to fold only a 1/4 of the way in vs. halfway in. So my 16x12" parchment sheet became a 10 1/4 x 7 3/4 x 2 1/4" baking pan. Here with my full sized spoonula for scale.

Photobucket


I didn't add the second outer layer of mailing paper but look even without it, such sharp corners! I imagine with some brown or white mailing paper on the outside it would have quite a bit more structure.

Photobucket


Enough structure to hold a gooey half dozen cinnamon rolls, a modest portion of bar cookies or a delicious sized for 2-4 person coffee cake. No liquidy batters but a stiff batter I imagine would do just fine. And no having to pay too much for disposable pans.

Photobucket

No comments: