Sunday, October 4, 2009

Other times it's easy and enjoyable.

Photobucket


I know I tend to highlight the, shall we say, more memorable moments from my days with the kids. Like yesterday and one child's adventures with bodily performance art. However, there are days that are perfectly ordinary, easy and enjoyable. Like this day when we headed off to the park.

I have to say after spending the last several years being the mom chasing after two young boys on the playground it's actually nice to give them a little leeway and keeping them only in sight and not arms length. It's nice to join the sideline parents of slightly older kids watching them enjoy their play and giving them a little bit of freedom.

Photobucket


On this particular day the oldest (mind you only almost 6 years old) approached an 11 year old on the playground asking him questions about his siblings, what games he liked to play and inviting him to play race, tag and then hide and seek. That, my friends, is courage untainted by social pressures of "but he's bigger than I am."

Photobucket


My younger son, usually a little hesitant on the playground equipment decided to experiment a bit more. He then joined his older brother and "big kid" friend for a game of hide and seek. By the time we had to leave, they had formed a band of ten-ish boys , aged two to eleven, running around whooping and hollering. All together having a grand old time.

Photobucket


Yup, pretty easy and enjoyable but now that I think of it, quite extraordinary.

No comments: