Saturday, September 5, 2009

One of the last garden updates

At least for the summer vegetables. I've had a good time watching the garden flourish this summer. Even though my tomatoes succumbed to late blight I was able to take off all the green tomatoes and eat most green while some finished ripening off on the counter. This latest walk through the garden produced an eggplant, a whole bunch of of peppers and some more tomatoes that managed to survive.

Almost all the herbs have done well but the basil and lemon balm have tried to take over the whole bed. This patch of basil is at least three feet across.

Photobucket


The lemon balm, at least two feet across. I need to harvest plenty of this to dry for the winter season. It makes a super calming tea.

Photobucket


A while back I noticed a vine growing out of the compost bin. Turns out it was a cantaloupe vine! The cantaloupe I'd been tending all summer died about a month ago and here was a cantaloupe vine growing all on its own out of the compost bin. It has at least three melons already growing and I picked one in my excitement only to realize I picked it just a tad early.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Can I bottle this time when all he wants to do is pick marigolds and hand them to me?

Photobucket


Baby holding a prized green tomato. I can tell she's itching to get into the dirt. In time, my dear, in time.

Photobucket

No comments: