Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Nick Nolte's mugshot . . .

. . . has nothing on a toddler with sunflower seed butter at her disposal. She was sooooo upset when we took away the spoon and started cleaning her up. Correction, Mr. Maricucu cleaned her up while I grabbed the camera. I'm nothing if not helpful.

Photobucket


Don't feel too sorry for that husband of mine. I had to give her a bath and she enjoyed that too. Hairwashing and all.

Photobucket


Just a couple of days ago we went on a neighborhood walk to enjoy these first few days of Autumn. It was lovely weather and we came across this bush with bright red bark and heavy with clusters of plump indigo berries. I immediately snapped a few pictures thinking that these might be elderberries (aka sambucus) and giddy at the thought of returning to pick them all since it was by a road/common area in the subdivision. Alas, a little googling informed me my picking won't be happening unless I decide to make my own ink, dye some clothing or make some salad in the early spring. This is pokeweed and the berries are pokeberries. The leaves and berries are poisonous and while there are some that make jams, wines and vinegars with them I need to do some more thorough research on this.

Photobucket


We also spotted some interesting creatures. A common millipede which I again had to google to confirm. During my search I found out that centipedes bite! Good thing to know. Now I'm more Zsa Zsa than girl scout but I can only imagine that I'd be inclined to get brave and touch one of these one day only to get bitten. Then I'd have to stay home forever and ever which I'm sure would do nothing but promote the stereotype of anti-social homeschoolers.

Also something to keep in mind considering my oldest gets a kick out of touching the worms that are still alive in the early morning to see them squirm in midair. This poor fellow didn't stand a chance though, one turn of my back to tend to the baby and a child with his walking stick did him in.

Photobucket


A nifty little inside out masking tape bracelet for carrying back those little important treasures found on our walk.

Photobucket

No comments: