Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My mom definitely gets it.

Doll head anyone? Maybe with some fava beans and a little chianti. Groan, I know.

Photobucket


My mom typically asks me for ideas for birthday/holiday gifts for the kids. In fact, most of our relatives do and I do appreciate it since I can let them know if a child has had their eye on something or I've had my eye on something for them. When my daughter's birthday was coming up she asked about baby's waldorf doll. Last year I made the boys their own waldorf dolls for Christmas using a Dancing Rain Dolls friendship doll kit. Never mind that I spent hours fiddling with doll clothes and the dolls are now constantly naked. I'm not bitter.

Photobucket


I started the dolls sometime in November (what was I thinking!) and finished them in December. Amy from Dancing Rain Dolls was so helpful in answering my questions. I knew at some point I wanted to tackle my little girl's doll. So when mom asked, I mentioned that they were pretty pricey already made but I had considered the kit for later this year. My mom then asked if I would mind making the doll if she purchased the kit. Okay, let me get this straight. I get a kit full of fabulous fabric, soft wool and beautiful yarn to make a gorgeous doll and then my daughter gets to keep it? Of course!

Photobucket


My mom totally gets that I enjoy the sewing up just as much as baby will enjoy the doll. Oh and baby will enjoy the doll. The fact that she heads into the boys' room and joyfully picks up whichever doll is in reach to hug to death is proof enough. This time I went with the curly boucle yarn and hope to again make a doll in the child's likeness. So golden skintone fabric and brunette hair.

Photobucket


Get a load of Amy's hair blend! This is a little extra you can buy to give the overall hair a varied texture. She hand dyes these and can I say they are even more gorgeous in real life.

Photobucket


Finally, I am sewing. Yes, I'm sewing, sewing, sewing but darn it I can't show it. Not until after a certain date.

Photobucket

4 comments:

SugarMama said...

I think you've inspired me to get one of those kits! What a fun project!

Ms Moreno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms Moreno said...

Thank you so much for posting the link! I have a niece coming soon and I would love to make her very 1st doll.

Delma =)

MommaMari said...

Delma it's very relaxing to work on these. Sugarmama, the longest part is the hair but it's all pretty doable.