Sunday, September 27, 2009

Go ahead, say I told you so.

Photobucket

Because poor Bertha's in the shop. Just like many other sewists out there I really drag my heels on taking the machines in for a tune-up. Mostly because I don't like down time. What if I get inspired? What if I have to complete an emergency set of coasters? I know, you think I'm crazy. But I also hesitate to take in the machines until the very last moment of "I can't fix this, argggh!" because just like people who avoid the doctor's office, sometimes I fear taking in the machine risks getting something broken. Why yes, yes I am paranoid.

For the last couple of months I've been fiddling with the tension on this machine and despite taking it apart (shhhhh, don't tell my sewing machine repair guy) I finally gave up last night and took her in today for what should be a spa cleaning and taking her back to factory specs. I hope she enjoys it since the first time I had a spa day was this year at the ripe old age of 32. She's only three and getting a pretty nice treat. I expect to have a super smooth stitch from her when she gets back and in the meantime I've taken over the kids' machine - my starter machine. Replacement machine is more Betty than Veronica so she's giving me no grief at all.

2 comments:

Ms Moreno said...

What kind of sewing machine is that? I'm looking to buy one ,what brand do you think is best?

MommaMari said...

Delma, that's a janome (the mc9500). I love my janome machines. There are definitely good brands out there but one thing I would avoid is buying a singer, brother or shark/europro at walmart or target. Check out sears for their kenmore machines (not the singer ones they offer) and also check out www.patternreview.cm for their wonderful sewing machine reviews.