Saturday, September 19, 2009

Faux-reos and my sister in law

I swear sometimes I'm worse than a little kid. I had a craving, intense craving for something sweet today. Now, like my mom says not just something sweet but the required combo of sugar, fat and flour. Be still my heart.

Photobucket


So I perused my "recipes to try" folder in Google Reader (what? Doesn't everyone have one of those?) and saw the Faux-reos posted on the King Arthur's Baker's Banter blog. It may take me a while to get breakfast/lunch/dinner produced in my kitchen but when it comes to something sweet I'm on lightning speed and can pretty much do them on autopilot. Must be the motivation of producing something just a little decadent.

Photobucket


These are not exactly like oreos but I dare say a little tastier even if slightly different. Initially there's a slight bit more chew to the cookie but as they sit over several hours they crisp up and become tender enough to bite into.

Photobucket


Can you believe these are 100% whole wheat? I like to make sure there's something healthy on the menu everyday. You know just to keep myself in marathon shape. And if you know me in real life you'll understand how laughable that is. I think the fastest I ever did the mile in school was 13 minutes.

Photobucket


Onto some more birthday wishes. Seems this is a pretty busy month for birthdays in our family. Today is my sister in law's birthday. The saying "actions speak louder than words" truly is perfect for talking about A. As Mr. Maricucu's big sister she was a second mom to him. She's managed to raise a pretty amazing kid through teenagehood (and if I've mentioned that before it's because it definitely feels like a feat to this mom of younger kids). She had only spoken to me over the phone before I met her soon after Mr. Maricucu and I were engaged, yet A. had a wedding shower waiting for us in their hometown filled with their family members who embraced my mom and I like we were already part of the family. She took care of their Granny on a daily/hourly basis when Granny R. reached her final years in an assisted living home. As if that were not enough, when it comes to my kids, she spoils/loves my children as her own.

So to my loving sister in law we wish you a blessed day, filled with joy, family and most of all rest. Because we know you run around doing for everyone else year round.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Marielle, how sweet, sweet that is. Thank you for the precious words. Love you, too !