Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Craft Fail-ish


Photobucket

What could be craft fail-ish about macaroni art? Well, let's just say there are two rules. 1) Don't use whole wheat pasta. 2) Ignore the food color that is NOT a primary color. Why? Because after you remove half the initial batch to add a second color for blending you'll end up with a color I like to call,"blegh".

Thankfully, my kids don't discriminate when it comes to use of the gluesticks. I barely eek out, "hey do you guys want to try . . . " and they're clamoring at the dining table. Of course, all the other art supplies must come out for a multimedia project.

Photobucket


Matchbox cars are important for proper macaroni art. I don't know why, they didn't let me in on their reasoning.

Photobucket


That blue gluestick that is supposed to dry clear? They lie. Oh they lie. Doesn't dry clear and makes momma look like a fool when she insists that "you can use it all over and it will dry clear." I need to have a meeting with these gluestick people.

Photobucket


This second born of mine doesn't just march to the beat of his own drummer, he's got his own band. Tell him you're doing macaroni art and he ignores the pasta for his crayons just because. Eventually he comes around but definitely on his own timetable.

Photobucket


The oldest put together a flower with roots. I love it.

Photobucket


Younger brother comes around to using the not-clear gluestick and pasta. I believe it's a storm cloud.

Photobucket

As for the dyed pasta, I'm sure I'm not the authority on this but I just chucked dry pasta with a bit of rubbing alcohol and several drops of food coloring into a baggie. Shake, shake, shake, then dump out onto a sheet pan to dry. Took a few minutes to shake and just under an hour or so to dry. If you do the larger rigatoni it would be fun to string on yarn for some play jewelry.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Your eldest really seems artistic to me! cute pics.

MommaMari said...

Thanks! He definitely has some interesting ideas.