Saturday, August 1, 2009

That was then, this is now.

When Mr. Maricucu and I had our first child our world was shaken in the typical fashion. We bumbled about our days with little sleep, little time to ourselves and barely on top of the household work that needed to be done. But, little by little we found ourselves falling in love with the emerging personality of this little guy. We could not remember a time that didn't include our son and really didn't wish for it either, lack of sleep and all.

Photobucket


A couple of years later, pregnant with my second I worried what kind of chaos I was about to thrust on my firstborn. Worried if Mr. Maricucu and I would be able to balance two children. Again, our worries were turned on their heads by the love we soon had for this baby and envisioning the future relationship between two brothers.

Photobucket


Sure, as siblings there were adjustment periods. They know better than anyone else what buttons to push but will clamor for each other when forced into for-momma-and-daddy's-sanity-separation. A second child meant a lot of joyful chaos in the home. We learned to live with our rowdy, happy and energy filled boys.

Photobucket


By the time I was pregnant a third time - again with the worries. How would we handle three children? Would the work load bury Mr. Maricucu and I? Would both boys love this new sibling? Would the dogs think we were crazy human owners for bring yet another new "pup" into the fray? You think I'm joking but I see the look on the oldest dog's face with each new baby.

Photobucket


Our worries were unfounded. Our fears haven't come to fruition. In fact, this third child seems to love the chaos that worried Mr. Maricucu and I. She seems to find her way into the middle of all the boys' antics. Even the dogs put up with her a bit more than they did with the boys. She loves her brothers and boy do those brothers fiercely love her.

Photobucket


That toothy smile wasn't directed at me. That loving, happy gaze was in the general direction of those two older brothers who have to be reminded that the baby can only take so much loving before she's going to get upset.

Photobucket


Apparently, that last bit hasn't sunken in yet.

Photobucket

No comments: