Friday, July 24, 2009

Step away from the learning.


Photobucket

You might have noticed that for the past few weeks the graphic for Learn Nothing Day has been on my sidebar. Usually people fall into three camps when they see it - 1) Yay! High five, totally understand 2) Oh no it's those good for nothing unschoolers again or 3) Learn Nothing Day? Is that like Buy Nothing Day?

We've chosen to homeschool here at the Maricucu household and even though I don't strictly adhere to any specific homeschooling philosophy have found that learning around here happens in a very natural manner. Math happens in the kitchen, in the grocery store and in the process of dividing marbles with one's brother. Reading is discovered in the process of learning one's name, reading the back of the cereal box and *blush* reading the name of the stores momma frequents wayyyyy too much. So when I found Melissa Wiley's post on Learn Nothing Day the sarcastic side of me loved it. It's not a commentary on those who prefer a more structured route, just a retort to those who are shocked that on top of choosing something as strange as homeschooling, one would think unschooling/ecclectic/relaxed homeschooling actually is a viable option. Thus Learn Nothing Day - a tongue in cheek way to let the world know that learning happens every day and every minute. Even if you're not a homeschooler, if you're not learning, you're not breathing.

So today we will try to veg and not learn anything. I'll duct tape the sides of the aforementioned cereal boxes, I'll have to put away my new patterns lest I learn a new technique by mistake, and I might even have to put earplugs in the baby's ears so she doesn't accidentally pick up any new words (kidding!).


Yesterday I learned how to make my sister in law's famous twelve layer cake and I learned that she has the magic touch with the frosting. Must work on that some more but not today - remember, can't learn anything.

Photobucket


I learned that five year old little boys love making silly party hats or anything else that involves hole punches, tape and crayons.

Photobucket


I learned that a three year old will hold his breath while he watches daddy attempt to blow out the gaggle of candles in his cake.

Photobucket


And finally I learned that even a seemingly reluctant daddy can have fun and enjoy us forcing him to celebrate his birthday. Trick candles and all.

Photobucket

No comments: