Friday, May 8, 2009

32 years ago today . . .


These two people became parents and haven't had a good night's sleep since. Yup, today is my birthday and these two handsome old people have successfully come out of the other end of raising three children. I imagine it was hard. Here's a before shot for comparison's sake and because I promised my mom I'd embarrass them both along with me today.



Now on to that embarrassing myself part. It was fun to look at these old pictures but fortunately for me (and likely you!) my mom still has in her possession the most humiliating photos. Fear not, she's compiled an album for each of her children with all our corresponding pictures. So one day I'll have much more wacko family history to share.

One theme I've noticed is my hair. I knew I liked big hair but boy did I forget that I rocked the wave bangs in the early 90s. I don't know what the heck I was thinking wearing that shirt on school picture day in 8th grade but I do remember it was an ensemble, with matching skort. Yes, there was more.



Here I was 15 and obviously losing the constant battle between the South Florida humidity and my blow dried straight (but naturally curly) hair. It was quite an interesting phenomenon to walk out with neatly styled hair and then visit the bathroom at school to see my hair having grown up and out just waiting for the bus. By the way I loved that black sweater with mother of pearl buttons. I wore it to death and still miss it. Sniff. I also just remembered that I didn't start plucking my eyebrows until two years after this. Explains a lot.



Looks like I had a Mork phase. Actually I was gussied up to don a crepe paper baby chick costume for a school recital.



And of course the requisite "awkward stage" photo. It seems all kids look strange and clumsy between the ages of 9-11.



Enough with the photos! Today I will eat yummy Cuban food I don't have to cook myself and celebrate with my own sweet children and loving husband. Now go hug someone you love.



Sorry, couldn't help myself. A photo of me with my paternal grandfather. I'm blessed with loving grandparents on both sides. My paternal grandfather passed away several years ago.

3 comments:

Marin!! said...

Happy Birthday to You!!!!

Your daughter looks just like you in the baby picture with your grandfather. That means she will be beautiful (inside and out) like you when she's older.

Have a great day, my friend.

Denise said...

I love the Mork phase...you crack me up!

MommaMari said...

Thanks for the wishes Marin!

Denise I think it was a child of the 70s/early 80s thing. LOL